Paces Sheffield is a specialist centre for children with neurological disorders, which affect their movement, communication, sensory and learning development. The charity was founded by parents of children with cerebral palsy in the early 1990s and established to provide Conductive Education for children up to the age of 19 to develop independence skills in readiness for mainstream life.
Conductive education explicitly teaches children with a brain injury the skills which ordinary children learn spontaneously. The neuro-plasticity of the brain allows undamaged parts of the brain to take over new functions. CE connects thought, language and movement together to provide a full active learning experience in a group setting, encouraging learning through purposeful movement.
“Movement is education and education is movement”
As well as being a non-maintained special school Paces’ services have expanded to include:
- Early Years Outreach service for under 3s and their families at home.
- Outreach service for families in the home at different stages of life.
- Family support, providing individual support to gain funding for CE, plus workshops, information and advice sessions to help families become experts by experience.
- Volunteer Befriending training to give emotional support to new families.
- Summer Schools for children with cerebral palsy during the summer holidays.
- LTV craft enterprise where people with CP make and sell the products they create
- Condition-specific groups for adults with neurological conditions for over 18s who have CP, survived a stroke, have MS or have a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease.
- Paces Campus, run by High Green Development Trust, also hosts inclusive gymnastics, cookery classes, snooker and table cricket to the general public.
Other Treament Centres
- Active Dreams
- Cosmosuit Rehabilitation Institute
- Dragon Mobility
- Epilepsy Alarms (EAUK)
- Kids Physio London
- Kids Physio Works
- MAES Therapy
- Megan Baker House
- NAPA Center
- NICE – Centre for Movement Disorders
- PT Kids
- Quest 88
- Rehab Walk
- Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy
- Simple Stuff Works
- The Adeli Medical Center
- The Advance Centre
- The Bobath Centre
- The Footsteps Therapy Centre
- The London Orthotic Consultancy
- The Movement Centre
- The PACE Centre
- The Peto Institute
- The Safespace
- Walk This Way